The Albany County Convention and Visitors Bureau will welcome two large-scale conferences to Albany County in September 2013. FantaCon, the renowned horror and comic book festival, will be returning to Albany on September 14 - 15 after a three decade hiatus. There are a number of events planned for this weekend in downtown Albany. BoucherCon, the international mystery writers convention, will be make its inaugural Albany County debut from September 19 - 22.
Here is a look at these two events, by the numbers:
• Over 3800 attendees are expected for Bouchercon and FantaCon. They are projected to spend over $3 million in Albany County during their stay and generate $240,000 in local taxes.
• Both conferences will result in 4,390 hotel room nights booked.
• As part of the FantaCon festivities, organizers are bringing together 6 original cast members from Night of the Living Dead for a 45th Anniversary Reunion.
(John Russo, Russ Streiner, Judy O'Dea, Kyra Schon, George Kosana and Judith Ridley)
• 5 Anthony Awards will be handed out at Bouchercon for various categories, including Best Novel, Best First Novel, Best Paperback Original, Best Short Story and Best Critical Nonfiction Work.
Travelers to Albany County have a significant economic impact that directly affects local businesses, employment opportunities and households in regards to taxes. Here is a look, by the numbers:
• Travelers spent nearly $875 million in Albany County in 2012.
• Albany County produced 52% of region's tourism tax base in 2012.
• Travelers spent $176 million on dining out ("eat"), $195 million on lodging ("stay"), and $23 million on recreational activities ("play").
• Albany County households save an average of $904 in taxes per year due to tourism-generated taxes.
About the ACCVB
The Albany County Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc. was established in 1976 to promote the civic and commercial progress of the community through increased development of conventions and tourism. ACCVB currently represents more than 300 member businesses and assists each year in hundreds of regional meetings. ACCVB also operates the Albany Heritage Area Visitors Center, Henry Hudson Planetarium, and the Albany International Airport Information Center. For more information, call 518-434-1217 or 800-258-3582 or visit www.albany.org.