Founded more than 400 years ago, Albany is filled with rich history and traditions, beautiful architecture, spectacular events and entertainment venues, amazing restaurants, and a vibrant and active gay and lesbian community.
A Welcoming Community
Residents, business leaders, community partners, and public figures work together to support the LGBTQ+ community in Albany.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ+ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ+ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
- Based in Albany, In Our Own Voices is an organization with a mission to work for and ensure the physical, mental, spiritual, political, cultural and economic survival and growth of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people of color communities.
- In Our Own Voices hosts the annual Say it Loud! BIPOC Pride a monthlong event highlighting the presence and contributions of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer + People of Color in the Capital Region.
- Albany scored a 100% on the Human Rights Campaign's 2017 Municipality Equality Index (MEI). The MEI rates cities based on criteria falling under five broad categories: non-discrimination laws; municipality as employer; municipal services; law enforcement; and relationship with the LBGTQ+ community.
- Trivago Magazine ranks Albany as one of the "10 Best Gaycation Destinations That Might Surprise You."
- New York State is the most desired travel location in the world for the LGBTQ+ community. Learn more from the I LOVE NEW YORK's LGBT resources.