Founded more than 400 years ago, Albany is filled with rich history and traditions, beautiful architecture, spectacular events and entertainment venues, amazing restaurants, and people from all walks of life - including a vibrant and active gay and lesbian community.
A Welcoming Community
Residents, business leaders, community partners, and public figures work together to support the LGBT community in Albany.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
- Albany scored a 100% on the Human Rights Campaign's 2017 Municipality Equality Index (MEI). The MEI rates cities based on criteria falling under five broad categories: non-discrimination laws; municipality as employer; municipal services; law enforcement; and relationship with the LBGTQ community.
- The Huffington Post reported that Albany was the 7th most LGBT-friendly city in the United States, as ranked by Vocativ's Queer Index.
- In 2011, Marriage equality for New York State was passed right here in Albany, making us the sixth and largest state in the nation at the time to pass such legislation. Check out the Capital Region Pride Center Wedding Guide for tips & tricks on planning your special day!
- New York State is the most desired travel location in the world for the LGBT community. Learn more from the I LOVE NEW YORK's LGBT resources.
- Visit our Relocation page for helpful information that will help make your move stress free!