The oldest house in the Mohawk Valley, the Mabee Farm Historic Site was originally settled by Daniel Janse VanAntwerpen around 1670, who established it as a fur trading post to meet Native American traders before they reached Schenectady. In 1705 the property was sold to Jan Mabee and it was handed down to generations of Mabees for 300 years. The farm complex comprises of a 17th Century Dutch House, Inn, Brick Building, 1760 Dutch Barn (originally built in Johnstown, NY), English barn, Mabee family cemetery and other outbuildings. The Schenectady County Historical Society, who owns the property, has developed the site as a museum and educational center for the community and holds events, re-enactments, workshops, tours, exhibits and educational programs which reflect the historical significance of this early Mohawk Valley farmstead. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The newly built 13,000 square foot George E. Franchere Education Center has allowed the Site to be opened year round. The building contains an Exhibition Hall, Conference Room, Lecture Hall, commercial kitchen and pavilion which are used for various exhibits, lectures and classes. Certain areas may also be rented for weddings, picnics, reunions, birthdays and other events.