Discover Albany hits the streets each week, tabling at some of Albany's biggest events. We answer visitor questions, and distribute visitor guides, dining guides, and calendars. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions we get.
What can I do with my kids?
- Albany Pine Bush: One of only twenty inland pine barrens left in the entire world!
- Children’s Museum of Science and Technology: A museum designed specifically for kids and parents to explore the world of science
- New York State Museum: Explore the cultural and natural history of New York State. The Museum features a variety of history, science and art exhibitions
- Mountain Ridge Adventure: Zipline and more in nearby Schenectady!
What are Albany’s must see’s?
- Capitol Building: Grand Government building in the center of Albany!
- Empire State Plaza: the largest public modern art gallery in the country
- Corning Observation Tower: The tallest building New York outside of Manhattan
- USS Slater: The last floating World War II Destroyer
Where can I pick up Albany souvenirs?
- Discover Albany Gift Shop - Of course! Conveniently located at the Albany Visitors Center.
- Fort Orange General Store - Adorable Albany-centric merch shop, right on Broadway.
What to do during a layover/one day:
- Upstate Kayak Rentals: Spend your day kayaking all around the Hudson River!
- Dutch Apple Cruise: Go for a relaxing cruise around the city
- USS Slater: Spend your day touring the last floating World War 2 Desroyer
- Albany Art Room: Unwind and paint at the Albany Art Room
What to do on a budget:
- Alive at 5: A free outdoor concert on the water every Thursday!
- New York State Museum: Free museum tour though New York’s rich history
- The Irish and Erie Canal Tour: A free tour about New York’s extensive Erie canal and Albany’s Irish heritage
- Empire State Plaza Art Collection: Walk through Albany’s Empire State plaza to see the largest collection of modern art in the country
- For a list of free events happening each week, check out our Free and Frugal section!