Have you noticed Discover Albany at some of the city's biggest events including the Empire State Plaza Farmers Market, Bites Camera Action and Alive at Five? Our brand ambassadors answer visitor questions and hand out visitor guides, dining guides and itineraries to passersby. We've rounded up some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive.
What’s the best way to get around Albany?
- By foot: Albany is concentrated enough that you may not even need a car! One of the best ways to get around is simply walk.
- CDPHP! Cycles: Rent a bicycle for only $5 an hour! The Capital Region's bike-share program allows visitors (and residents) to see the sights all over town with this alternative and fun mode of transportation!
- Car: One easy way to get around Albany is to drive! With parking garages, lots and meters all over downtown Albany, driving is easy! Plus, with ParkAlbany's newest app it is easy to pay by phone, add time, get reminders.
- CDTA Bus: Albany's Capital District transportation system runs throughout the city daily, and is another easy way to get around.
Where to purchase an item you forgot to pack?
- Colonie Center: Capital Region's premier shopping, dining and entertainment destination offering an impressive selection of national brands, the newest retail concepts, amazing dining options and fun entertainment venues.
- Crossgates Mall: Crossgates Mall offers something for everyone! Many restaurants and stores for you to shop at. Unique Stores that you won't find for miles like Apple, Dave & Busters, LUSH, and Zara.
- Stuyvesant Plaza: It's more than just a strip mall, Stuyvesant Plaza has plenty of places to shop and dine. Grab a coffee from Starbucks or a bite to eat at Chipotle Mexican Grill, then go shopping at Talbots or West Elm. So many options!
What tours are available in Albany?
- New York State Capitol Building Tours: Tour New York's grand Capitol Building and learn about the history of this architectural marvel. Tours are offered during the week and on weekends!
- Historic Downtown Albany Food Tour: Take a bite out of Albany with this guided walking tour of Downtown Albany featuring historic facts about the city, accented by tastes and sips from local restaurants. It's a great way to experience the flavors of Albany!
- Discover Albany Visitors Center Walking Tours: The Discover Albany Visitors Center offers two guided walking tours - Going Dutch! and the Wild Tails of Albany Animals. These guided walking tours are a fun way to uncover the city's Dutch roots, or explore Albany's wild side.
- Historic Neighborhood Brew Tours: Ale aficionados and history lovers will love these guided walking tours through Albany's former brewing districts. Albany Beer Historian Craig Gravina highlights the impact of beer on Albany's past, with a sip (or two!) along the way.
What are my hotel options?
- Airport/Wolf Road: If you're hopping off an airplane and looking for a great place to stay, check out our accommodations near the airport and on Wolf Road. These hotels are conveniently located near tons of restaurants, shopping and businesses!
- Downtown: Stay in the heart of Downtown Albany for convenient access to the New York State Capitol Building, Empire State Plaza, New York State Museum and more. The hotel options range from luxurious high-end accommodations to boutique bed-and-breakfasts!
- Near the Universities: Are you visiting Albany to tour the local universities or to move in a new college freshman? We've got numerous hotel options to choose from near the universities.