So we've heard that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, yet there's much more to March than just watching it pass by! The weather starts warming up, days get longer, and we start adventuring once again. We soon realize that there's more to our day besides curling up at home and drinking warm soup and hot coco. March is approaching and Albany County has you covered! Whether indoors or outdoors, there are many things to check out:
1) Watch the Beauty Unfold
March brings out the color and beauty in nature, which means good vibes all around.
- Celebrate the natural beauty of Albany's own backyard at Nature at Your Doorstep, a free exhibit at the Albany Heritage Area Visitors Center; appreciate precious flowers, birds, landscapes & more from March 1 - April 30. Naturelogues is the work from Scott Stoner and Denise Hackert-Stoner, whose photos have appeared in many publications. Come to the opening reception on March 10th from 5-7 to discover the wonders of nature!
- Get some fresh air! Get back into the groove and get ready for the 6th Annual 5K Ice Breaker Challenge along Hudson River. This 5K run gives runners the unique opportunity to race rowers from the Albany Rowing Center along the Corning Preserve Bicycle Path on March 26th.
2) Longer days and Warmer Weather
- Longer days mean more time for fun! Take the kids to the New York State Museum for Rain or Shine.. It's Reading Time on March 4th and let their imagination soar!
- Looking for even more fun? The next day on March 5th is the Hannaford Kidz Expo at the Empire State Plaza. Come for a fun-filled day of performances and entertainment, with activities for kids and info for parents.
- Warm up your soul with Disney's The Lion King. There is nothing quite like THE LION KING with unforgettable music and "awe-inspiring artistry". Sit back and experience true wonder with this familiar story, as it returns to Proctors March 22 - April 17.
- Feel the radiating excitement of 11 institutions with unbreakable team bonds as they compete in the 2016 MAAC Tournament right at the Times Union Center. Watch the community come together to make this an exhilarating experience.
- Visit local restaurants and hotels as they celebrate with exciting offers & promotions. Check out these MAAC special Restaurant Offers, and Hotel Packages & Promotions, that you definitely do not want to miss!
- Did someone say mac-n-cheese AND craft beer? Yes! The ALL-NEW "Hannaford MAAC-n-Cheese Fest" on March 4th includes the restaurants 677Prime, Ama Cocina, Jack's Oyster House, Parish Public House, The Hollow, AllieB's Cozy Kitchen, The Capital, and Wellington's.
4) Sweet Demonstrations
- Satisfy your sweet cravings every Sunday in March at The Farmer's Museum! Come to Sugaring Off Sundays where a full warm pancake breakfast will put you in the perfect mood to watch contemporary & historic maple sugaring demonstrations and participate in various activities. Learn to tap maple from trees, visit the Museum's Historic Village and enjoy local maple products & more! You have to check out this tasty and engaging combo that's fun for all!
- St. Patrick's Day
- Join the Irish American Heritage Museum on March 12th for storytelling, dancing, pony rides, crafts & food at the St. Patrick's Parade Family Festival for an afternoon of family fun! Feel the culture of Ireland at Academy Park from 12-5pm across from Albany City Hall. Then, stop by the 66th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in Downtown Albany, and celebrate faith, family and tradition, starting at 2pm from Quail Street to Pearl Street.
- Kick back and celebrate with drink specials at City Beer Hall, Bombers Burrito Bar, The Olde English, Wolff's Biergarten & more for St. Paddys Luck of the Irish PubCrawl on March 12th. Take advantage of the Irish Spirit throughout the many festivities and excitement in the area!
- Everyone deserves spectacular food now and again. Have a delicious St. Patrick's Day Dinner on March 17th at Restaurant at the Pointe. Take a break and receive a mouth-watering meal.
- Stop by Goold Orchards, Inc. for a tasty Breakfast with the Easter Bunny on March 19 & 20th and finally enjoy some pleasant family time!
- You can also, feast at the Desmond Albany Hotel in their charming courtyard and elegant ballroom for Traditional Easter Brunch on March 20th featuring pianist Bobby Z, and an Easter egg hunt! Would you rather have an evening experience? Bring the family for Easter Dinner at Simpson's. (Click here for menu)