Looking for a reason to travel to Albany County? Well look no further! With events for everyone throughout the year, keep Albany on the top of your weekend getaway list. Whether its live music, great food, or something else you're seeking, consider this list your sneak peek into the best that Albany has to offer in 2016.
The Classic Events
- The 68th Annual Tulip Festival, May 7-8, Washington Park, Albany: Musical performances, food, beverage, and craft vendors, and 100,000 blossoming tulips.
- Alive at Five, Thursdays from June 9th-August 4th, Jenning's Landing, Albany: Live performances from well-known local, regional, and national music acts.
- Dad Fest, June 19, Jenning's Landing, Albany: Celebrating all the dads out there and the things they love: live music, beverage tasting, barbecue, vendors, and more!
- Park Playhouse, presenting Chicago from July 1-30 & The Little Mermaid from August 9-27, Washington Park Lakehouse, Albany: Free musicals performed under the stars at an outdoor theatre.
- The Altamont Fair, August 16-21, Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont: Representing 3 counties, Albany, Schenectady, and Greene, the fair is the perfect combination of agricultural tradition, educational experience, and entertainment.
- Albany Riverfront Jazz Festival, September 10, Jenning's Landing, Albany: An all-day concert featuring world-class music, great food & beverages and a fireworks show over the Hudson River to end the day.
- The Capital Region Apple and Wine Festival, September 17-18, Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont: Kickoff the fall season with wine tastings, cooking demonstrations, and lectures by industry professionals, plus more kid-centric events for the younger family members.
- LarkFEST, Mid-September, Lark Street, Albany: Upstate New York's largest one-day street festival featuring hundreds of vendors and two stages of music with both local and national headlining musical acts.
- Haunted Capitol Tours, weekdays throughout October, The New York State Capitol Building, Albany: Join the "ghost hunting" tour guides as they take you through the "hot spots" of the Capitol
- Price Chopper's Capital Holiday Lights in the Park, November-January, Washington Park, Albany: Drive through the 150 light displays and inspire a childlike sense of wonder in its visitors no matter what their age
- Empire State Plaza Holiday Tree Lighting and Fireworks Festival, December 4, Empire State Plaza, Albany: The state's official kickoff to the holiday season; The Plaza becomes a winter playground for the whole family including skating, caroling, outdoor mini-golf, visits with Santa and his reindeer, and the fireworks.
- The 20th Annual Albany Last Run 5K, December 10, Downtown Albany: A great race for all ages, featuring a beautiful course through downtown Albany and a spectacular fireworks show!
The Exclusive Events
- Albany Institute's 225th Anniversary, events throughout the year, Albany Institute of History & Art, Albany: As one of the oldest museums in the nation, the Albany Institute's 225th Birthday will be celebrated this year with much enthusiasm. Special events include their two Masterworks Exhibitions, lectures highlighting items in the exhibitions, $2.25 admission days on Saturdays, and much more. Click here for more info.
- The Albany Symphony Orchestra's 86th Season, events throughout the year, venues vary, Capital Region: One of the region's most revered music and cultural institutions, the Albany Symphony Orchestra has won numerous national awards for its adventurous concert programming, recording projects, composer residencies, and innovative educational efforts involving area schools throughout the region. Don't miss their performances and family friendly events. Click here for more info.
- The Albany Barn, events throughout the year, Albany Barn, Albany: introducing a robust line-up of exhibits and events, the Albany Barn focuses on providing a sustainable creative arts incubator and community arts center that features masterpieces created by local talent. Click here for more info.
- Upcoming Performances at The Palace Theatre, events throughout the year, Palace Theatre, Albany: Upcoming performers include O.A.R., Styx, Jerry Seinfeld, Bonnie Raitt, Straight No Chaser, and much more. Don't miss these headlining shows at one of Albany's oldest and most beautiful venues. Click here for more info.
- The Bridge Jazz Festival, February 26-17, Troy Savings Bank Music Hall & Massry Center for the Arts. Troy & Albany: The Bridge Festival is back with two nights of hot jazz! February 26 features the amazing voice of vocalist Nnenna Freelon and guitarist extraordinaire Pierre Bensusan at the Hall, then cross the bridge into Albany on February 27 for a night at the Massry Center with the Arch Stanton Quartet, the No BS! Brass Band, and Ellis and Delfeayo Marsalis! Click here for more info.
- 2016 MAAC Championship Basketball Tournament, March 3-7, Times Union Center, Albany: Head to the stands and watch the best college teams in the area match up for the MAAC title. This is the perfect way to catch an exhilarating basketball game without the pro-prices! Click here for more info.
- Capital Pride Parade & Festival, June 11, Washington Park, Albany: Join the largest pride events in Upstate New York at this event which concludes the two week long celebration of the LGBTQ community throughout the Capital Region. The festival begins immediately after the parade and includes live performances and food, beverage, and community vendors. Click here for more info.
- The 36th Annual Old Songs Festival, June 24-26, Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont: A family-friendly festival of folk, traditional, Celtic and world music and dance, known for its relaxed atmosphere, interactive sessions and workshops, hands-on experience and participatory nature. Click here for more info.
Well, there you have it! A round up of some of the biggest events to look forward to in the area in 2016. Because this is just a snapshot of everything happening in the Capital Region next year, be sure to keep an eye on our events calendar - here!