- Things To Do
- Places To Stay
- Visitors Center
- Press Room
The Old Stone Fort was built as a church in 1772.
Builders chiseled parishioners' names into the stones. They include many of the early families of the valley. With the coming of the Revolutionary War, the church was enclosed by a log stockade in 1777.
On Oct. 17, 1780, a force of about 800 loyalists and Indians under Sir John Johnson and Mohawk Capt. Joseph Brant raided the valley and briefly attacked the fort before proceeding north toward the Mohawk Valley. A cannonball hole may still be seen in a cornice at the rear of the building.
The stockade was removed in 1785 and the building continued service as a church until 1844 when it was replaced by the present Reformed Church in the village. In 1857 the former fort was sold to the state for $800. Through the Civil War and until 1873, it was used as an armory. Then, it was given to the county for historical use.
In 1888 the Schoharie County Historical Society was formed to operate a museum at the old fort and by 1899, a catalog of 2,500 items was published.
Thousands of antiques and artifacts from war and peace are on exhibit. Costumed interpreters assist your visit and a research library is available to historians and genealogists.
The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex celebrates and preserves the rich, historic legacy of New York's beautiful Schoharie Valley. Buildings include an early 1700s home, a 1780s Dutch barn, an 1830s law office, and an 1890s one-room schoolhouse as well as the 1772 stone church that was fortified and attacked by British forces in 1780.
Museum complex is open May 21 through October 28. Monday through Saturday hours are 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Sunday hours are noon to 5 P.M. Closed on Wednesdays. Only open weekends after October 15.
Admission is $7.00 for adults, $6.00 for senior citizens, $2.00 for children aged 5 to 17, and under 5 free.
Visit us soon!